This week we are interviewing power couple Elizabeth and Donovan Cain, the owners of Hound About Town! If you have a pet (or know someone who does), definitely make a trip over to Hound About Town. They have two locations in Jersey City (218 Montgomery St & 17 McWilliams Place) which you and your pup will love.
Tell us a little about yourself!
Hi there, we are Elizabeth and Donovan Cain! We are a family of 3, + 1 dog Lily. Our son Landon is 9. Elizabeth and Donovan are both NJ licensed realtors, and Elizabeth is the director of the Exchange Place Alliance. Donovan is the bassist for The Milwaukees and sometimes fills in for other local artists.
Tell us about your business! How did it start? Biggest Challenge? Favorite Part? Where do you see it going?
Elizabeth came up with the concept for Hound About Town when the local pet boutique closed. She recognized the community was growing and that there was a need. We are a local pet boutique specializing in natural, holistic and USA-made products for both dogs and cats. We place a strong emphasis on sustainability and green products. Additionally, we offer same-day local delivery to both Jersey City and Hoboken! :) We love to be involved in our local community and host events. Biggest challenge? Making the business profitable, competing with online competition and making sure our neighbors know we are there! Favorite part? The customers. And their pets of course! Where do you see it going? We may expand, however our plates are pretty full. We might just stay focused on being successful with what we have.
What is your biggest source of inspiration?
Our own dog, our child, our community and other like-minded businesses.
What do you like to do for fun?
We like hiking, hanging out at a lake, music, skiing, and traveling.
Favorite Local Spots:
- Restaurant - Hamilton Pork, Domo Domo, the Cliff
- Coffee Shop - Dames
- Place to Shop - Kanibal and another man’s treasure.
- Bar - Matthew’s, Cellar 335, and White Eagle Hall for a show!
- Outdoor Spot - Rumba Cubana, and Liberty House.
- Honorable Mention(s) - Hair Room is great for Elizabeth. Donovan and Landon get their hair cut at Virile. Elizabeth has been going to project Pilates since they opened years ago. Great small studio. Landon’s loves a loaf of bread from Prato, vegan chocolate cupcakes from Cocoa Bakery, and vegan ice cream at Milk Sugar Love.
Go check out Hound About Town and their links below!