This week we spoke with Jersey City resident Jamie Bartolacci! Starting her designing career by freelancing, she then became a UI designer for a large company while still managing her illustrating and brand designing business at night. She is a big supporter of small businesses in the area and has some great spots!
Tell us a little about yourself!
I'm Jamie. I live in Jersey City with my boyfriend, our newborn daughter and a nine year old English bulldog named George. After a long freelancing stint designing at various magazines, I am now a UI designer at a large financial institution during the day and an illustrator and brand designer at night. I grew up in Easton, PA and have been living in and around New York City since I was 18. I moved to Jersey City in 2015 and love it here.
Tell us about your business! How did it start? Biggest challenge? Favorite part? Where do you see it going?
I went to School of Visual Arts and majored in graphic design. I have always had a love for color and pattern. While in school, I picked up more illustration skills and after working in the design field for a while I started to miss creating with my hands. After doing some illustrations for small businesses in Jersey City, I was approached by Edible Jersey to illustrate a column in every issue. After that, my illustrations kind of took off. The biggest challenge I have right now is keeping up with it with a newborn. I had to take a hiatus from the Instagram page for my drawings but I hope to get back to it in the next few months.
What is your biggest source of inspiration?
I love visiting all the local businesses and walking around and looking at the murals around Jersey City. Seeing new things, meeting new people and trying new foods are a huge source of inspiration. I love to travel. It's an incredible way to meet new people and experience new cultures.
What do you like to do for fun?
I'm a Jersey shore girl at heart and try to get down there as often as I can. On the weekends, I love finding new coffee spots and visiting them with my little family.
Favorite Local Spots:
- Restaurant - White Star Bar for burgers and fries, Mathew's for brunch and cocktails, and Corto for date night
- Coffee Shop - Dames has been my second cup since giving birth. I love to walk to Hamilton Park with a latte and my daughter and relax
- Place to Shop - Love Locked: Kerry, the owner is one of my favorite people and I wear the jewelry from her store daily. I've been lucky enough to act as ring fairy for a few of my friend's engagement rings from her and it's also a great place for gifts.
- Bar - Dullboy and Lucky 7's, although it's been a bit since lockdown and having a baby
- Outdoor Spot - Hamilton Park: dog run, grass and proximity to Milk Sugar Love
- Honorable Mention - Salvation Wellness: See Andrea for the best massage ever; Paws and Tales for dog playgroup (Curtis is the best)
Connect with Jamie on Instagram and see her work on her website!